Why I teach - Part 1

When I tell people that I teach, the conversation sometimes gets around to the concerned question about how I handle teaching the same thing year after year. Like daily routines and life (or probably more so), I tell them that every day, even every class, is different. With 20+ personalities having 20+ different types of days in each class, it's a guarantee.

For instance, my students have read To Kill a Mockingbird each of the 24 years I've been teaching. I learned a while ago that I have not seen or heard it all.

For instance, here is what would qualify as yesterday's Student Quiz Answer of the Day:

The question: According to Miss Maudie, why is it a sin to kill a mockingbird?

The "real" answer: Because they don't do any harm to anyone. They only do good by providing beautiful music for us to listen to.

Student's answer: Because all they're doing is dropping next level beats for us.

Points awarded and a fresh perspective on a classic text.

This entry is subtitled Part 1 because there is probably no way I can come up with just one good reason and unlike the Rocky franchise, all of them would be equally good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boost Learning in Presentations and Games

How do students know what they know? (an effective exit slip)

How to Lead the Horse to Water?