The honeymoon is over.
Well, sort of. The second day did not go quite as smooth as the first because of technology issues. Shocker!
In each of the two classes, one student had extra difficulty getting his computer to connect to the wireless. I helped and tried several solutions and a couple different computers before finally getting it going. The other students were very patient but it was because they were using their computers for many things beyond getting ready to take the quiz. At least they were distracting themselves and I decided to accept that early on in this process. I'll work on something more "productive" to keep them occupied if (when) this happens in the future.
There have been several positives already. I found that I can create questions with a little more detail and make them multiple choice. In the past I did not think it fair to expect them to recall details but they should be able to identify or recognize them in a list. It works very well to separate those who are reading the actual text as opposed to the SparkNotes readers. I am also able to put quotes on the quiz and have them identify the speaker, another way to determine if they have an understand of a character.
While I expected many problems and issues initially, Day 2 brought the realization that there would be growing pains each and every day. That expectation will help with the mindset of dealing with the practice of solving each issue. I am sure the students will quickly become the "deputies" for me and help each other deal with the issues.