A Questionable Pedagogy


Tony Wagner's The Global Achievement Gap left me with many ideas and much inspiration. My main take away has to do with teaching and learning which was my main purpose in reading the book anyway. In his many interviews and observations, Wagner mentions that one of the most important aspects of teaching is learning to ask the right questions. If we can do this as teachers and get our students to do the same we will have much success.

Upon reflection on many of my most "successful" lessons based on my perception of student engagement (therefore, VERY unscientific), it seems to hold true when I ask the right questions. I had not concentrated on working toward students learning to ask their own "right" questions but I am sure that at least part of the time they were heading in that direction and that is why they were so engaged.

While I have several pages of notes from the book about successful schools and approaches, it seems if I always come back to the central question in any lesson I will find my students will be willing participants in the dialogue. After all, is there anything more important in the classroom?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boost Learning in Presentations and Games

How do students know what they know? (an effective exit slip)

Are We Testing Enough?